By Misti Sandefur
How many times have you attended a baby shower and bought a gift that turned out to be one of those duplicate gifts? Generally it's not a big deal, because the new parents will either exchange it for something else, or they may keep yours and exchange the others. Even though it may not be that big of a deal to the new parents, it may be a big deal to you, because you thought to yourself, "I wish I had of chosen a different gift -- a gift no one else thought of." Or maybe you thought, "I didn't think anyone else would think of that."
The next time you're invited to a baby shower try giving one of these gifts instead.
1. Diapers. Yes, many others may buy diapers too, but unlike a baby monitor, diaper bag or etc., Diapers are a gift new parents can't get enough.
2. Baby wipes. Like diapers, this is another gift new parents can't get enough of.
3. An instructional or educational DVD. New parents are always open to learning how to care for their baby and etc., and an instructional or educational DVD will help them learn together. Plus, they can always refer back to the DVD if they forget.
4. DVD. New parents are always open to learning how to care for their baby and etc., and an instructional or educational DVD will help them learn together. Plus, they can always refer back to the DVD if they forget.
Following are a few DVDs to consider: "The Happiest Baby on the Block -- The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Baby Sleep Longer" or Bringing Baby Home: The Ultimate Baby Care DVD."
5. Magazine subscriptions (one year subscription). Just like DVDs, magazines are another way to help new parents learn how to care for their baby and more. Magazines will even give new parents tips and advice from other parents and experts.
Here are a few magazines you could give as a gift: "American Baby," "Parents," "Mother and Baby" or "Prima Baby."
6. Classic Pooh keepsake pillow. This pillow includes images of Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore, and it will allow the new parents to record their baby's birth information. Not only is this pillow a keepsake, but it's a gift the new mommy and daddy will treasure forever!
7. A crib quilt will make a beautiful gift, and it will keep baby warm too.
8. Baby wipes warmer. I use to cringe while I used the cold baby wipes on my kids when they were babies. Besides, put yourself in their place, do you like cold things when they're immediately applied to your skin? I didn't think so.
They didn't have the baby wipes warmer when my children were babies (if they did I never found one), but now they do, and I'm sure any new parent will love this. Note: Reviewers say to read and follow the directions in order for it to work correctly, so be sure to pass this information along with your gift.
9. For all you grandparents, aunts and uncles who want to spend a little bit more on the new addition to your family... a changing table for the new parents and baby will be very convenient, and it makes a wonderful gift too.
10. A cradle swing will pacify baby so mommy can get some housework done.
11. Bicycle child carrier. Do mommy and daddy like to ride their bicycles? With this bicycle child carrier mommy and daddy can still enjoy their activity and take baby along too.
12. The automobile bottle warmer will keep baby's formula warm while mommy and daddy are on the road.
13. A gift basket filled with goodies! You can make your own gift basket by buying a small basket, cellophane, a boy, and, of course, the goodies to go in the basket.
Once you've placed the goodies in the basket, wrap the cellophane around the basket and tie it at the top with the bow. Wondering what goodies to place in the basket? Here are a few ideas: Instructional or educational DVDs, instructional books, bottles, receiving blankets, a crib quilt, a thermometer that takes baby's temperature by ear, etc.
Those are just 13 gifts you can consider when shopping for the new parents. There are many other gift ideas out there, but anytime you need some assistance or can't think of anything just refer back to this article. Any new parent is sure to love any of these 13 gifts, and hopefully no one else thought of them. Happy shopping and have fun at the baby shower!